Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Holding tongues and embracing enemies

Walk away, retaliate, they were never your friend in the first place, ignore them... the list goes on and on. These are words we tell our child when defending themselves against a bully or against the mean kid. I am very much at fault for this. After several conversations with friends and family members on this topic I dug deep into the LORD's word and found that I ask my children to believe in the LORD and themselves, BUT my words of advice told them the exact opposite. I started researching what the bible says about our enemies and what we should do.
Luke 6:27
"But I say to you who hear, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you."
Romans 12:20-21
"If your enemy is hungry, feed them; if he is thirsty, give them something to drink...Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.'
Oh boy, I sat and really had to ponder how I was going to translate this to our kids and in my life for that matter.
It went a little something like this...the LORD puts us on our journey to prepare us to be Kings and Queens for HIS majesty. As a parent we are molding and shaping our child to turn from princes and princesses to Kings and Queens. So we drag them to church and we make them listen to the word but are we hearing the LORD'S words and are we living as HIS kings and Queens? What are we instilling in our children?
My son was having a hard time in school with a particular child and I used every negative and positive advice I thought I could. While sitting alone on Monday night it hit me...embracing an enemy and holding your tongue. I approached my son again about this certain topic and I led with these words...
Son your are a child of GOD and everything that you do and everything that you say is a reflection of HIM. When another child hurts you or causes you sadness, pray for them. When they use their tongues to try to break you down, you use your smile and lean on the LORD. Do not get angry, do not say hurtful or negative things back. I have raised you to honor GOD and live as HE would. I know you will make mistakes and I know you will travel roads that I would never want you on...BUT the LORD is in you and I trust that you will make the right choices because HE is in your heart.
Holding our tongues and embracing our enemies is very hard, especially for this Italian woman. But if we practice this, the enemy will see our light that is shining for the LORD. Of course no child should ever be bullied and adults should be notified but I am speaking about your child's heart and what you can put into that heart so that no enemy can defeat that child.
We can raise warriors that are strong and can fight back with a vengeance or we can raise Christ's Warriors that have faith in the LORD's word and faith in what the LORD has placed in their heart.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment